Reasons Why I Love My Landline
- Marketers, u can’t text this.
- Nobody has to charge it.
- No pop-up notifications. And if I unplug it, nothing at all.
- I can celebrate Screen-free Saturday and still call my mom.
- No feature creep.
- We always know where it is.
- It just … works.
- It has no apps to install, upgrade, uninstall, update, or pay for.
- It shows me no ads.
- It is immune to digital viruses.
- It has a seemingly infinite voice message box (gotta delete some of those, someday…)
- No forced upgrade$. I haven’t replaced the basic equipment in many years.
- I can turn off the ringer.
- I can turn on the ringer, and turn off my smartphone.
- It’s the one number we all know. One number, to rule them all.
- I don’t have to give anyone my cell phone number.
- When I do have to give out a phone number, and I give this one, it cuts down on the volume of unsolicited communications, because most people don’t talk on phones anymore.
- But if you did want to talk on the phone, it’s more comfortable to use than a cell phone.
And for my sister, the teacher, who installed an old (working!) Bakelite rotary dial wall phone like this one at her house to flummox her kids’ friends… it’s a source of ongoing entertainment.